My favorite TV right now!
Welcome to Heron Fidelity!
This is the home of Robert Heron's take on the latest in home theater gear, apps, and services. Also, this the primary contact portal for professional video calibration and home theater consultation services.
What is video calibration?
Video calibration is the process of adjusting a TV's picture settings in order to produce the most accurate picture possible. Professional video production conforms to a specification that defines a specific color pallet and detail levels. A video display device that isn't properly configured to accurately display this color pallet and detail isn't showing you the intended vision of the content's director/editor.
Why calibrate a TV?
There are several benefits of having a TV professionally calibrated.
- Accurate color - the colors you see are accurately representing the information contained within the video signal. That signal could be broadcast television, a video game console, or the latest Blu-ray movie.
- Revealing picture detail - an improperly configured television may have a picture that clips bright detail or crushes dark detail that should otherwise be visible to the audience.
- Minimizing artificial enhancements - most televisions are factory configured to produce as bright of a picture as possible regardless of color or detail accuracy. Professional video calibration minimizes these unwanted artifacts resulting in a more eye-pleasing picture!
- Efficiency - while we strive for optimal picture performance, a side-effect of professional video calibration is often a television that also consumes less electricity.
- Today's televisions are capable of producing some of the best imagery yet seen, however, variances in manufacturing along with the myriad of picture adjustment options mean that even the best models from top manufacturers leave room for improvement.
Robert is based in Northern California/Bay Area - we welcome calibration project requests from anywhere in the world!
For more information, questions, or to schedule an appointment, please contact Robert directly at robert [at] heronfidelity [dot] com.